Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Uncle Sam (Dresden Buddies)

So, I started making a few new shop samples for the store and I'm really having fun with them!  I'd like to introduce you to Uncle Sam from Susan Marth's (designer, Suzn Quilts) new-ish Dresden Buddies series:
Susan has a really fun way of making tiny and mini dresden plates and incorporating them in to all sorts of designs.  I've gotta say, I've never enjoyed a machine applique project so much!  
For the most part, my husband is very supportive of my quilting, but I think he's getting a bit too comfortable with his commentary.  This time he pointed out that Uncle Sam has no nose!  "Where's his nose?" was the first thing he said when I showed him the finished wallhanging.  Susan Marth's response to this, "Noses are ugly.  He's cute enough without one!"  Hehe!  I like that chick!
When it came time to quilt, I just added an allover pantograph, but the stars and waving striped suited Uncle Sam just fine!  I know many people do not like to quilt over their applique, but I don't mind one bit!  Let's face it, quilting is not my favorite part of the process.  So, by the time I get there, I'm just ready to be done and on to the next project!
Uncle Sam is awfully cute and I can't wait to have him back home, hanging on the wall, tormenting my husband :)

Uncle Sam
Pattern:  Dresden Buddies - Uncle Sam 
Designer:  Susan Marth (Suzn Quilts)
Size: 10x43"
Panto:  Star Spangled Allover (Jessica Schick)
Quilting Thread:  Fil-Tec Glide (linen)

Disclosure: I received supplies to make this project from Jackman's Fabrics in Fairview Heights, IL.  The quilt will be hung as a shop sample in their store to promote sale of both the pattern and fabric lines.  In exchange, the quilt will be returned to me and becomes my property at the end of the promotion.  They did not require me to write a positive review of any of the products.  The opinions I have expressed are my own.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Uncle Sam is my second completion from my 2018 Q1 FAL list!

For fun stuff happening today in the blog-o-sphere, check out the link-ups on my sidebar!
~ Heather

2 comments:

  1. Really great finish! Your quilting choiced worked out so well - I love the way the stars fell on his beard. Husbands and their comments crack me up! I still remember when I made a batch of Dear Jane blocks several years ago, and Scott walked in - after watching me straighten up for a bit, he picked on up, saying "This is what it would look like if a quilt farted!" and walked out. Bahahahahaha He is such a man-boy at times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is great, and I don't mind the quilting over the appliqué. I think the notion of not quilting appliqué comes from hand quilting, which can be hard to do if the layers are building up with appliqué...
    On behalf of the Finishalong hosts, thank you for joining us!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and I'll try my best to answer any questions. Please, just let me know you've dropped by!