Sunday, March 31, 2019

Selvage Spools

Back in January, I was happy to be able to blog hop Diane D. Knott's most recent book, Strip Quilt Secrets.  This was the beginning of my Selvage Spools quilt.  If you missed that post, click here.
Now, my Selvage Spools are a good sized cuddly lap quilt!  Diane's directions were easy to follow and even though I really dreaded that Y-Seam at the spool corners, it went off without a hitch!  I did end up deviating just a bit from Diane's original design by swapping the spool and background fabric colors and adding a border with the background color to make the spools float a bit.
Just look at all of that quilty texture!  Patricia Ritter's Crosshatch pantograph was just the thing for this quilt.  Surprisingly, my husband picked it out of a box of new pantos I had just gotten in and said, "you should use that on that selvage quilt."  Well, when he actually takes an interest in the making of a quilt, I guess I had better take advantage of that!
If you decide to make a selvage quilt, I have a couple of suggestions:  Stitch really close to the edge of the selvages (I was about 1/8" away from the edge and probably could have gotten closer - I tucked a few edges while quilting).  Also pay close attention when quilting to keep the selvage edges flat (again, I ended up with a few tiny tucks, not noticeable unless you're looking for them).  Next time I would quilt a selvage quilt from the front of the machine.

All in all, such a fun project!  Thanks Diane!  I'm now ready to make the Selvage Baskets quilt!

Selvage Spools 
Designer:  Diane D. Knott (Strip Quilt Secrets)
Size: 61x79"
Featured Fabrics:  Assorted Selvages
Quilting:  Crosshatch (Patricia Ritter)
Quilting Thread:  Fil-Tec Glide (Warm Grey)
Batting:  Hobbs 80/20

Linking up to the 2019 Finish-A-Long hosted by Julie at her blog That's Sew Julie.
To see my Q1 2019 FAL post click here.

For fun stuff happening today in the blog-o-sphere, check out the link-ups on my sidebar!
~ Heather

2 comments:

  1. I really like that the spools are different sizes. Congratulations on your lovely finish. Thank you for participating in the FAL, on behalf of the 2019 global FAL hosts.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and I'll try my best to answer any questions. Please, just let me know you've dropped by!