Monday, September 10, 2012

Design Wall Monday ~ 10 September 2012

Quilt of Valor - Ready to Baste
On the design wall (or "design driveway") today is my Quilt of Valor.  Last week, you saw just the center medallion and over the week, I added the string blocks and final border.  The backing is just pieced in 3 panels:  a solid blue, the neutral pebble print from the final border, and a solid red.  And yes...I just barely had enough batting to cover the area (it stretched just a bit more after I took the photo).

Now, onto the quilting (this is the scary part for me since I have only accomplished a little SITD (stitch-in-the-ditch) since purchasing the new Bernina.  I have an idea of a few techniques that I would like to try.  Tell me what you think about this plan:

  • I thought first I would try a larger * in the center square (sort of SITD style).
  • Then maybe a FM free loopy loop in the thin blue border
  • Maybe a FM meander over the string blocks
  • Finally a FM wandering star design over the final border
So, some questions...what do you think of this plan?  Do I need to SITD between rounds? 

To see more fabulous projects on quilter's design walls, check out Judy's Patchwork Times.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice quilt. I'm afraid I have no comment for the quilting designs. I quilt by checkbook so I don't have to worry about that part. LOL Good luck and Have Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your QOV is very sriking and your quilting plans are fine for it. When I first started quilting on my Bernina I did easy things - SID, meandering, cursive e's and l's in borders and they turned out fine. Go for it. Some soldier will love it no matter what the quilting looks like.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and I'll try my best to answer any questions. Please, just let me know you've dropped by!