Wednesday, May 27, 2015

WIP: Ring Around the Hexies

It's retreat time!  This year, one of the guilds I belong to (Heartland Quilt Guild) is hosting a Quilt Away.  Pat Speth (Nickel Quilts), Cynthia Bonds (wool applique) and Mickey Dupre (Pieced Hexies) are all coming to teach classes and I'm so excited!

A ton of preparation goes into this type of retreat as you can imagine.  Of course, the hosting guild's retreat committee has been planning for several years to bring together the event and the instructors must organize and pack for their classes.  But I've never thought about how much the participants need to do to prepare!

I've spent hours choosing fabrics and cutting hundreds of 5" light & dark squares for Pat Speth's class.  I'm not sure what to expect from Cynthia Bonds' class as our supply list sheet was very vague (for ex. bring wool....how much??? measurements???).  I'll be bringing my Buttermilk Basin BOM wool applique project and supplies.  I've decided that if I can play along during the class with what I bring, great!  And if not, I'll have the project sheet to do later and I'll just work on my BOM.
Ring Around the Hexies
Now, I've been looking forward to Mickey Depre's class since I heard she was coming (Pat Speth, too).  A while ago, I purchased the Ring Around the Hexies (from the Collaboration Celebration with Mickey Depre & Bonnie Hunter) as soon as it was available.  It's been sitting on my bookshelf ever since.  Well, I pulled that pattern out and sewed up the top.  The pattern features 4 pieced hexies and I'm hoping that those large blue squares will be the perfect background for the hexies I make in Mickey's class!

Now all I have to do is pack up everything else...

Linking up to WIP Wednesday and Let's Bee Social!
Heather

2 comments:

  1. I so hear you about having to pack heaps of stuff. I'm just back from a retreat. I took a tiny overnight bag for clothes etc. and had to lug masses of "stuff" for sewing. The machine on its own is huge and heavy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun at retreat with these wonderful teachers!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and I'll try my best to answer any questions. Please, just let me know you've dropped by!