Friday, July 31, 2015

Ring Around The Hexies

This has been one of the most fun projects ever!  

I love handwork, but I don't love projects that take years to produce results.  This quilt was a perfect blend of scrappy piecing and spurts of handwork...and better yet, it didn't take forever!

I started a few months ago making the background designed by Bonnie Hunter (one of my favorites, as you all know).  This was finished before I went on a retreat and took a class with Mickey Dupre for the pieced Hexie portion.  The original pattern did not include the 2 borders, but I wanted to make it at least a lap-sized throw quilt.
Ring Around the Hexies (background)
Then, I added the pieced hexies fleurettes I made during Mickey's class.  Man, were they fun to do!
Ring Around the Hexies

 Then, came the quilting...no one told me I wasn't supposed to quilt over top of the fleurettes once they were appliqued down (until the first time I showed it in public).  Ooops!  Well, the quilting went smoothly and I like the results, so I'm guessing no harm done.
Ring Around the Hexies (quilting on back)
...and here's the backing...pieced chunks of all the leftover fabrics from the front, complete with hanging sleeve and label!
Ring Around the Hexies (back)
Ring Around The Hexies
65x65"
Pattern Designers:  Bonnie K. Hunter & Mickey Dupre
Panto:  Fire Lily (Patricia Ritter)

For fun stuff happening today in the blog-o-sphere, check out the link-ups on my sidebar!

  Heather

2 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous quilt! The fabrics are so cheerful and fresh. Great design, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's lovely!

    *Visiting as a member of the official 2015 Finish-Along cheerleading squad*

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and I'll try my best to answer any questions. Please, just let me know you've dropped by!