Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Top Done!

The top is finally done on the flower quilt.  It still needs a name - Flower Power comes to mind with all the bright colors that are thrown about on it, but that seems just too easy!

To finish off the border, I decided to do a little brick work.  I used 7x13" bricks of many of the fabrics previously sewn into the top and latticed them together with the same purple fabric used in that first thin inner border.  I am really happy with the results and that means I won't have to order and wait for a new fabric to arrive since I didn't really have enough of anything else to work with!  The top measures a mere 74"x97" finished.

I also got the binding made today out of the little remaining border purple there was left.  It was really a stretch to be able to get the 350+" needed to finish this quilt!  Also in the basket is that last of the quilt fabrics.  For the most part, these will make up that backing.  I still have a good bit of the green flowers, orange-yellow-pink stripe and yellow floral that are very dominant in the top.   Intermixed with those, I'll probably make several large half-square triangle blocks (10" or so) and sew them in strewn across the backing just to use up some more of the fabrics since these aren't my usual color choices!

No comments: