Thursday, April 12, 2012

And Many More

While we were living out of suitcases this summer in a hotel waiting to be able to move into our newly purchased home, I decided to get started on a gift for my brother and sister-in-law's 10th anniversary.  We will be traveling to PA this summer for their vow renewal (since all 4 of us were in the original wedding party).  Since I never made a quilt for them when they got married and my sister-in-law did ask me a few years ago where her quilt was after I made one for my sister's wedding, I decided it was time to make one for them.  This one is called "And Many More" and it's based on Bonnie Hunter's "Florabunda" quilt.
I tried to use fabrics that reminded me of their original wedding colors.  She used hydrangeas in the bridal party bouquets and in her bouquet and in the table centerpieces, she also had some bright pink roses.  
  As usual, this quilt was machine pieced and I hand quilted it.  By the way...do you know what my favorite part of making a quilt is?  The binding!  I just love binding a quilt.  I don't know why.  Maybe it's because it symbolized the end of a project or because it combines machine and hand work or maybe it's just because it's relatively mindless sewing?!!?
I just hope they like it.  This will be a surprise (she is not a reader of my blog...neither are many others, lol) and since I'm not sure what size their bed is, I made their quilt to fit a queen or they could use it to cuddle on the couch.
As you can imagine, I did not travel from the Netherlands with my sewing machine and quilting items in tow.  I have to say a huge thank you to our LQS, The Thread Peddler, and owner Bertha for suggesting I borrow her shop machine to keep me busy.  Thanks Bertha!

1 comment:

  1. Lovely quilt!!
    Thank you to your hubby for his service to our country and YOU too!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and I'll try my best to answer any questions. Please, just let me know you've dropped by!