Monday, January 27, 2014

A Quilt for a Widow

The Gone To Pieces quilt guild in St. Robert, MO does a lot of quilting for local charities.  My daughter, Kayla, decided to take on one of those charities for her GS Gold Award project and made a bunch of quilts to donate to a local women & children's shelter.  Once she completed that project, we still had a box full of fabric, blocks and UFO quilt tops that were donated to her to finish up to donate to charity.  We still have that box...and have been slowly dwindling down the contents by donating, through the guild, the finished quilts to that same women & children's shelter, babies born at Ft. Leonard Wood hospital, and local wounded warriors/veterans and their widows.

This one is designated to go to one of the widows.


This scrappy HST/4-patch top center was someone's UFO.  It was really cute and there are tons of really cool fabrics in there!  Kayla added the little border, made the muslin binding (a surprisingly suitable choice) and packed it away unfinished again (usually that just means it's waiting for quilting).  Well, I pulled it out this week and quilted it up!  Isn't there nothing better than hand stitching the last few stitches of binding down on a quilt you can't wait to see finished?  I LOVE hand stitching a binding!!!


The red & white backing was also one of the donated fabrics, as was the stripe of birdhouses (and the last of the HST & 4-patch blocks).  It's a thicker cotton weave, not sure what it would've been used for...a tablecloth maybe?  It's a heavy fabric and layered with dream cotton batting...this is gonna be a warm quilt!

Linking up to Kim for Scrap Basket Sunday & Kathy for Slow Stitching Sunday.

Heather

3 comments:

  1. I really like the muslin binding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous quilt!
    I love and stitching the binding too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a gorgeous scrap quilt... I'm sure the recipient will love it! Hand stitching a binding is my all time favorite thing to do!
    Thanks for linking up to Slow Sunday Stitching!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and I'll try my best to answer any questions. Please, just let me know you've dropped by!