Saturday, April 26, 2014

April's UFO is DONE!

Just in time for the end of the month!  This quilt began as 6 pre-printed blocks that were cross-stitched about 10 years ago.  Yep, they've been sitting in a plastic ziploc baggie on the UFO pile for THAT long!  You can read more about them here.
Now, they have become a really cute twin size quilt using some inspiration from a photo of a quilt on the internet called "Serendipity."    I was really nervous about quilting this one, but I was determined to do something "custom" that I learned from my APQS classes with Dawn Cavanaugh.  One thing that really stuck with me was the continuous curve quilting technique that she taught.  So, that was what I tried (after convincing myself that if it didn't work out,  this was a 10 year old UFO and I could give it away or donate it if I didn't like the result).
As you can see, it came out okay.  Nothing fancy, perfect, (or even symmetrical) since I didn't do any marking or try any ruler work.  This is just straight freehand (I probably should have tried a little harder - afterall, Dawn DID teach me better than that).  Not great, but not bad either...I can live with this as my first attempt.

 And, of course a pieced backing (using up another set of blocks that have been in the UFO pile/stash for just as long as the blocks on the front).  And, I've finally used up the rest of the rose yardage (surrounding the rose blocks).  There's just scraps left of that fabric (after using it as a main fabric in "And Many More" - Bonnie Hunter's pattern "Florabunda," and as a border on my "Bowdacious!").
I already added a little label onto the bottom right-hand corner, but I have yet to name this quilt.  Suggestions are certainly appreciated!  This baby is now in the washing machine getting all nice and crinkly!  Now, onto the next project....

Vintage Rose Tiles
Pattern:
  Serendipity (internet photo, no credit given)
Size: 65x90"
Quilting:  free motion beginning custom
Quilting Thread:  Glide white

Today, I'm linking up to A Lovely Year of Finishes, 12 Finishes in 2014, Sew Darn Crafty, and Can I Get A Whoop, Whoop?  Hop on over to these blogs to see what other quilters are finishing this month!

Heather

8 comments:

  1. Hello Heather, What a great quilt! The roses look like the decorative floral tiles on Victorian fireplaces. You could call the quilt Fireside Roses

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absoloutely gorgeous quilt!! Congrats on getting it done :-)

    ~ Jess (a.k.a. Rosie) ~
    Everything Is Coming Up Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on finishing, isn't it great that fabric doesn't go off or we'd all be in trouble I think! I was thinking Rose Diamond but I like Muv's suggestion better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well done on finishing, that's got to feel great after 10 years! it's a lovely quilt. Your quilting looks good to me, don't beat yourself up about it, it's a long learning process

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:28 AM

    Great job Heather! It was definitely worth the finish! Your quilting is great too. Thanks for sharing. Marie (mlismore@optusnet.com.au)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect setting for you cross stitch blocks. I had some cross stitch blocks that I finished up into a quilt a few years back. Mine was in similar colors, but your setting really gives them lots of punch! Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to go! I love that you finished something that's been sitting around so long, and that you did it so beautifully. The colors work so well together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, definately worth finishing!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and I'll try my best to answer any questions. Please, just let me know you've dropped by!