Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Tedious Work Done

Since I wasn't able to post photos last night (I don't know why...the blog wouldn't let me!?!?), I've got lots of progress to show today!  Steps 1-2 included cutting and pieceing 54 - 3 1/2" half-square triangle units then assembling them together into 3 rows of 18 blocks each.  Since I went really scrappy with this (I only cut 2 squares from each fabric), this took a while.  Cutting took some time, but the majority of my time was spent making sure the blocks played well together in their rows!

Next up, steps 3 -4 were to make 4 - 6 1/2" four patch units and assemble them into 2 rows with 6 more 6 1/2" blocks.  For this, I only used 4 different fabrics for the 4 patches (2 fabrics in each block) and 3 different fabrics for the 6 1/2" blocks.  Thess units have alot of similar color values, but I wanted it that way since they will be butted up against a single panel of fabric.  Easy peasy!

Last, but not least, step 5, had me making the flower panels.  Since I had no good measurements to go by, I really winged this one.  I cut the flower blocks to 8" unfinished squares to begin with and then began piecing around them.  No, the fabric stripes don't match up, but I didn't want them adds to the scrappy feeling (see, I'm not a perfectionist about everything quilty!!!).  Eventually I had pieced in so much fabric that I just had to trim around it to make it the prescribed dimensions!  The photo is quite a bit off in color.  I think the orange-yellow-metallic gold color combination played havoc with my camera and photo shop couldn't cure it.  Oh well, you get the idea. 

Well, that's it for today (and yesterday - it did take me 2 days of work to get this far).  I hope to post a couple of more completed steps tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments and I'll try my best to answer any questions. Please, just let me know you've dropped by!