Wednesday, August 13, 2014

The Never-ending Afghan

After 20 years, I finally have my afghan!
Actually, to be completely honest, I guess it's more like...After 17 or 18 years, I finally have my afghan!
A few years after my husband and I were married, I found a really cool pattern for a scripture afghan and asked my mom to make it for me.  I bought all of the yarn in the colors of the quilt we had on our bed and she was set and ready to go.  Or was she?  It turns out that the pattern was not that easy...block patterns are only repeated twice in the afghan which means once she learned the block pattern, she would make one more in a different color and then have to learn a completely new pattern to move on.  Yikes (sounds like a pain...full disclosure...I know nothing about crocheting)!
Last month, my mom came to visit and with her, she brought the afghan (or what was completed of the afghan and a bunch of yarn).  Mom joined a stitching group this year and made my afghan top priority!  When she arrived at my house, she only had 5 or 6 more blocks to complete (and of course all the putting it together and edging - what we quilters would call the sashing and bindings?!?!?).  

Now she'll tell you that I made her work and work...I was quite the tyrant...I wanted that afghan done and not back on the plane with her...back to her house where it may get stuck in a closet for the next 10 years or I may never see it again.....lol....

Well, yes, I highly encouraged her to work on it.  I also repaid the favor...while she was finishing up the last sections, I quilted her daisy quilt for her and added the binding and label.  Maybe not quite as much work, but it saved her a few months of hand quilting :)
Thanks, Mom!  We LOVE our afghan!!!

Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments and I'll try my best to answer any questions. Please, just let me know you've dropped by!