Monday, October 08, 2018

Spice Market

Do you ever get free patterns in the mail?  You know, the ones that come in an envelope with information to subscribe to quilting magazines once you let our subscription lapse?  Well, I've been holding onto this pattern for a few years and I actually got the chance to use it with a set of gifted blocks!
For my birthday, a couple of years ago, an extremely friendly member of my quilt guild, Bobbi, gifted me a stack of these 1/4 log cabin blocks.  Bobbi has a way with batik fabrics and she often sneaks in other bright patterned fabrics that blend right in with the batiks (like that bright green in the upper left of the photo above).  In order to follow the pattern, and after counting up the blocks, I figured I needed to make just 6 more blocks to add to Bobbi's blocks!  That was easy enough!
Then....after all of the blocks were up on the design wall and I was getting ready to sew them all together, I got a call from Bobbi.  Apparently, she was cleaning up her sewing area and she came across another stack of the 1/4 log cabin blocks...and she asked if I wanted them!  Uhhh....YES! Now I had a stack of close to 200 blocks!  YAY!
I figured I could make 2 quilts with that many blocks so I could also be a little pickier about which blocks I should use in this quilt.  The name Spice Market made me choose the primarily warm and spicier colored blocks:  the reds, golds and oranges. Of course, the blocks had all sorts of colors added in, so there is a bunch of green, blue and purple punches in those blocks, too.
The fun thing about the 1/4 log cabin blocks is  I have over 100 blocks left and they are primarily blues and greens - I can't wait to design something for them, but for now, they'll go on the back burner in a UFO box.
Speaking of reds....I was able to use up the remainders of 3 different wide-back fabrics that were leftover from quilts I made earlier this year.  I love it when that happens! And I really liked the way the yellow printed burgundy batik worked for binding (even if DH disagrees...nothing new there....).

Spice Market
Designer:  Vicky Wozniak (McCall's Quick Quilts)
Size: 78x78"
Featured Fabrics:  Misc. Batiks
Quilting:  Bora Bora (Natalie Gorman)
Quilting Thread:  Aurifil (col. 5512)
Batting:  Warm & Natural

Linking up to the 2018 Finish-A-Long hosted by Leanne at her blog She Can Quilt.
Checking this project off as my 3rd finish on my Q3 FAL list.

For fun stuff happening today in the blog-o-sphere, check out the link-ups on my sidebar!
~ Heather

1 comment:

  1. I love this quilt! The log cabin but not traditional (especially on point!) pattern is lovely. On behalf of the FAL crew, thank you for joining in!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and I'll try my best to answer any questions. Please, just let me know you've dropped by!