Thursday, September 20, 2018

Mystery BOM 2015

After my hexie project, Colonial Patches, was finished, I needed a new travel project.  That's about the time that I discovered Buttermilk Basin!  We have a LQS here, Calico Moon, (now preparing to close) who carries wool and the darker, muddier civil war-style fabrics.  I love this store, but never dabbled in wool anything.  Why?  Well, #1, wool is expensive and #2, I do not need another hobby!  But....I did need a new on-the-go project and Buttermilk Basin was offering a FREE BOM... and well....
I started preparing one block of this Buttermilk Basin Mystery Block of the Month (from 2015) at a time to travel with.  As this was my first wool applique ever, I wasn't sure what technique i wanted to use to prep the blocks for applique.  I decided to use tiny applique pins to keep all of the wool pieces in place.  Before each trip, I packed a block or two (or three if I was feeling hopeful) and worked on them on the plane, in the car or even in the hotel in the evenings.
Once all of the blocks were appliqued, I needed some machine time to make the sashings and to piece the whole top together.  Those tiny HSTs were made from flannel shirts!  Then, I packed it back up for a trip to finish up the hand quilting.  I finished the last stitches of this BOM the next year in July 2016.  
Buttermilk Basin still offers free BOMs on their website!  Designer Stacey West is super generous with her designs and now I'm currently participating in my 4th BOM through her shop!

Buttermilk Basin BOM 2015
Pattern:  Mystery BOM
Designer:  Stacey West (Buttermilk Basin)
Size: 23x44.5"
Featured Fabrics:  asst. wool on muslin & homespuns
Quilting:
  Hand Quilted
Quilting Thread:  Coats & Clark (neutral variegated)
Batting:  Hobbs 80/20

For fun stuff happening today in the blog-o-sphere, check out the link-ups on my sidebar!
~ Heather

1 comment:

  1. This is really beautiful design. I love the fact that I’ve never seen something like that before.

    Thanks!
    backpack patches and pins
    leather jacket back patches

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and I'll try my best to answer any questions. Please, just let me know you've dropped by!