Saturday, September 08, 2018

The Oaks

I loved making this quilt!  I had been wanting to make just about anything out of the book Civil War Remembered, but this design was at the very top of my list!  I finished it in March of 2017.  Simple piecing + old timey feeling = big impact for me!
Look at that yummy controlled scrappiness!  I love pink, but I especially like pink with browns and dark neutrals...and I like pink even more with lots of other colors mixed in!
All those simple 9-patches deserved a slightly intricate quilting pattern.  I chose the Feather Meander because it's relatively dense and gives the feeling of "special-ness."  I'm not a big fan of custom quilting - or of ME doing custom quilting!  Oh, I love when others do it - on the right quilts.  But, not EVERY quilt NEEDS intricate custom quilting, nor does every quilt deserve it.  Some quilts are just meant to be loved and cuddled and that's why I quilt with pantographs.  I want my quilts to be used.  I have no problem with someone grabbing any one of my quilts and cuddling right up in it on the couch!
Just before adding a binding (and don't ya just love a striped binding?), I always pin on a sleeve to every quilt.  Why?  Well, beacuse, it never fails that last minute someone from the guild is asking if anyone has any quilts that can be displayed for something or other.  This way....my quilts are always prepared and the sleeves actually match and blend right in with the backing fabric.  If I added a sleeve when it actually needed it, I probably wouldn't be able to find any more of the backing fabric!
And, last but not least, the label...I label every quilt and quilted project that I do.  Always basically the same:  Name of Quilt, Designer/Pattern, Pieced & Quilted by (name, town, state, date).  I also add things like the Name of the person I am gifting it to and for what special occasion or I might note any awards the quilt has won.
The Oaks
Designer (Book):  Mary Etherington & Connie Tesene (Civil War Remembered)
Size: 62x62"
Featured Fabrics: Reflections by Jo Morton (Moda)
Quilting:  Feather Meander (Jessica Schick)
Quilting Thread:  Fil-Tec Glide (Med. Brown)
Batting:  Legacy Wool

For fun stuff happening today in the blog-o-sphere, check out the link-ups on my sidebar!
~ Heather

1 comment:

  1. You are singing my song with this one Heather! We need to get together and catch up soon! I owe you!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and I'll try my best to answer any questions. Please, just let me know you've dropped by!