Wednesday, January 09, 2019

Splendid Sampler 2

So often, I just can't resist a quilt along!  But last year, as cute as the Splendid Sampler is...I really just didn't want to put the effort into the long-term, 100 block quilt.  I just had too many other things I really wanted to do.  Then came Splendid Sampler 2, and Judy, the co-manager of our local quilt shop asked me to make a display for a year long sew along (she asked me to make Splendid Sampler last year and I declined several times).  This year, for some reason, I caved.  And I'm glad I did.
I learned a lot making this quilt.  First, each block is designed by I different quilter, each with his/her own way of creating it.  I got a ton of practice with several techniques that are either new to me or skills that I don't have the chance to use often.  Below, I have included photos of the blocks before they were set into a flimsy (using A Splendid Quilt Setting) and quilted.
Speaking of quilting, I'm an edge-to-edge pantograph girl!  I'm highly unlikely to do any custom quilting and only freemotion from the front of the machine on occasion.  The bulkiness of some of  these blocks posed a challenge for pantographing, but after just a bit of ripping back, I got it all quilted with a relatively dense design.
Splendid Sampler 2
Designer:  Pat Sloan, Jane Davidson & friends
Size: 84.5 x 84.5"
Featured Fabrics:  The Good Life by Bonnie & Camille (Moda) & coordinates
Quilting:  Love, Peace & Happiness (Patricia Ritter)
Quilting Thread:  Fil-Tec Glide (Super White)
Batting:  Quilter's Dream Select - White
Linking up to the 2018 Finish-A-Long hosted by Leanne at her blog She Can Quilt.
Checking this project off of as my 2nd finish on my Q4 FAL list.
For fun stuff happening today in the blog-o-sphere, check out the link-ups on my sidebar!
~ Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments and I'll try my best to answer any questions. Please, just let me know you've dropped by!